Finish or New top for plywood table

Old 07-03-24, 01:08 PM
T
Received 55 Upvotes on 46 Posts
Finish or New top for plywood table

If there is a better place to post this I yield to you who know better
I have a round table that has a tile top and edge. The tile was applied with mastic and after almost 25 years the tile is losing its bond. I would like to save the table. I am not married to tile. What can I use to cover this table top and edge that will withstand exposure to the elements but I’t will be under a patio roof? I can paint the top, of course but what will work well to cover and seal the edge? Will plastic laminate work? Something else?

I AM not opposed to painting this top but If I do that how will I seal the edge? And whatever I do, how should I treat the bottom of the table?

Last edited by tightcoat; 07-03-24 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-04-24, 02:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
What type of wood is under the tile?
Assuming you have plywood and concerned about the open edge you could caulk any voids, prime and paint.

Old 07-04-24, 04:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 914 Upvotes on 772 Posts
My first thought would be a marine type finish.

Old 07-04-24, 08:44 AM
T
I think the plywood is probably A/B. It is 3/4" with a 1 1/2" edge. I am just looking for something to seal the edges and a good, durable, somewhat weather resistant finish. The table will be outdoors but under cover. I have not yet tried to remove the tile. I only know that the edge tiles are getting loose and I think I can remove the top tile without too much trouble. Once upon a time this was a prototype that actually won a prize at the county fair. The group who made it turned down $500.00 for it. It was commissioned by my wife. She told the makers they should have sold it. The second one would have been a lot better.

More than you wanted to know.

Old 07-04-24, 09:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,319 Upvotes on 2,064 Posts
I would look at glass. Often pieces can be found by the side of the road on garbage day. Or, you can check second hand stores and Habitat for Humanity. If you don't want to see through the top the bottom side can be painted.

It's not smooth but a top can be made from synthetic deck boards. You can install them with no gap between the boards for a more solid surface.

You can visit local metal fabricators and welding shops. They could make almost anything you want. Stainless steel, brass, copper, steel, aluminum are all options depending on the size and your budget.

If you want to stay with tile or if you can remove the tiles from the existing top they could be reinstalled. Depending on the support under the table you could make the top of cement board. You can glue and screw multiple layers together for increased strength if needed. Then thinset and tile will stick very well to it and it will be waterproof. I've made paver stepping stones with 1/2" cement board and concrete pavers glued on top with thinset. They've been outside sitting on the ground (lots of moisture) for over 10 years and still is in good shape.

Old 07-04-24, 07:52 PM
T
Good suggestions all. Thanks. First will remove the tile and see what I have. I may have more questions as I go along.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: