3 Common Causes of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning 3 Common Causes of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a very serious issue that kills many people every year. There are many potential sources that could cause you to be poisoned by carbon monoxide. Getting a carbon monoxide detector can help you to know if you are being subjected to the deadly gas. However, many people ignore these safety devices and are still hurt by the gas. Here are a few common causes of carbon monoxide poisoning that you can avoid with a little common sense.

1. Power Outages

One of the biggest problems with carbon monoxide comes when people are subjected to extended power outages. Many times when the power goes out for a long period of time, it is during the winter. Either an ice storm has knocked out multiple power lines or something else has interfered with electricity coming into the house. During these periods, many people take matters into their own hands to get the heat back on. Many homeowners also own a generator to use in the case of an emergency like this. They may run the generator inside the house or in the garage. An electric generator runs by burning some type of fuel. As a result of this, it puts off carbon monoxide as a byproduct. Many people might not think about this because they are just happy to get the heat and electricity back on. However, the carbon monoxide could be seeping into the house and slowly poisoning them. If you are in a power outage, be sure to keep the generator outside where it belongs. 

2. Grills

Another common source of carbon monoxide poisoning comes from grills. Propane and charcoal grills both put off carbon monoxide as a byproduct. When you do not properly ventilate the grill, it could turn into a deadly situation for those around it. Grills can put off a high amount of carbon monoxide and if you do not take the proper precautions, it could hurt everyone around. Make sure to keep your grills outside of enclosed areas and definitely out of the house. 

3. Cigarette Smoke

Another very common source of carbon monoxide poisoning is from cigarette smoke. Second-hand smoke is one of the leading causes of health problems for those that are around smokers frequently. If you have a house full of smokers, the smoke can actually cause a serious amount of carbon monoxide poisoning. 

If you smoke, it is always best to do so outside where the smoke can be ventilated properly. Cigarette smoke is bad on everything that it touches in the house. On top of that, it could potentially hurt your children in the house severely. Do not smoke around children or anyone that does not want to be around it. Filling a house with cigarette smoke is a sure way to eventually poison someone with carbon monoxide. Just be aware of the harmful effects that it can bring to others before you do it without their consent. 

Got a New Project You're Proud of?

Post it on Your Projects!