3 Tips for Building a Composite Deck 3 Tips for Building a Composite Deck
A composite deck is a durable decking material that can withstand extreme wear and tear and last for long periods of time. There are 3 types of composite decks: polyethylene, polypropylene and polyvinyl chloride-based composites. Follow the tips below when building a composite deck.
1. Select the Right Composite Materials
You must choose among the 3 types of composite materials for decks that suits your needs.
- If you want an environment-friendly composite deck, choose a polyethylene-based composite.
- If you want a sturdier composite deck, use polyvinyl chloride.
- If you want a more rustic looking composite deck, choose polypropylene.
Composite decks, regardless of their type are moisture-resistant, mold resistant, insect-damage resistant and are UV inhibitors.
2. Plan for Cost-Effectiveness
If you want to save money, build your composite deck yourself. If you want to save the time and effort, hire a contractor.
3. Use Preservative Sealant
No matter what type of composite material you use, you should finish your deck with a preservative sealant. This will extend the lifespan of your composite deck by protecting it from weather like sunlight and moisture. You can purchase a preservative sealant at your local hardware store.