7 Common Types of Household Toxic Mildew
Toxic mildew should be identified and dealt with quickly and succinctly. Many people use mold and mildew interchangeably, but they are actually different. Mildew, however, is caused by mold fungi, which is why they are often lumped together in the same category or group. You'll be able to find toxic mildew growing on many different surfaces, such as wallpaper, wood furniture, vinyl, cotton, plants and even metal like aluminum. You can even find the stuff growing on top of grease and soil. All mildew needs is the proper conditions that provide it all it needs to grow. Of these factors, the most common is moisture, but mildew also likes the dark and heat. Mildew can be migrated to other surfaces by pets and animals, and even you can transport it on clothing and shoes. There are thousands of molds and mildew, and most are harmless, but there is some toxic mildew that can cause health issues. The article below will go through some of the more common types of toxic mildew that can be found in the home as well as their causes and effects.
Mildew of this variety is commonly associated with wood that has the problem of dry rotting. Dry rot occurs when wood is left in one area for too long and too much moisture is present. The wood will begin to disintegrate. The spores of this mildew eventually become toadstools and mushrooms, which will grow directly on the wood. This mildew can cause severe allergic reactions, and the mushrooms can be poisonous if digested.
For this toxic mildew, you should start checking out the plants in your home. This mildew can cause asthmatic symptoms to develop. You will usually find this mildew in greenhouses due to the high humidity.
This mildew has a lot of different varieties, but all of them represent a toxic mildew that, when humans are exposed to, can cause a severe allergic reaction. In worst case scenarios, for those particularly susceptible, the mildew can cause a severe lung infection. This mildew is found mainly in areas that have been damaged by water.
This is what is generally described as “bathroom mold” and is found on caulk, windows, bathtubs and showers. The mildew is black and relatively harmless unless you are exposed to it for long periods of time. It can cause skin irritation and asthmatic symptoms.
This toxic mildew is particularly dangerous to those that have nutritional deficiencies and persons already in poor health. It can cause asthmatic symptoms, lung lesions, vomiting and skin irritation. Mildew that grows on garbage, food and house dirt is in this classification.
This type of toxic mildew is relatively harmless and is found growing in dust found in homes. Wallemia does not need the usual conditions of moisture to grow. This mildew can cause a severe allergic reaction.
This is another toxic mildew that is very common in areas that have experienced flood. Exposure to fusarium can cause cold-like symptoms as well as symptoms that resemble asthma and other allergies.