Are there dangers in having a stipple ceiling?

A stipple ceiling was a popular choice of builders during the 1970s and 1980s. They are not as popular today and, in most cases, are removed by homeowners.

  • Stipple ceilings can dry out and actually drop as dust onto carpets and furnishings. This can become a hazard to small children and pets who may eat these pieces. It can also aggravate dust allergies.
  • Stipple ceilings are difficult to clean due to the texture and can hold a great deal of dust, cobwebs and dirt. This is a hazard for anyone with allergies to dust or mold and to people with asthma.
  • Not all stipple ceilings were made with compounds that were fireproof, so they can be flammable.