Avoid Professional Duct Cleaning Scams
The best defense against professional duct cleaning scams is to educate yourself about the air circulation, ventilation and air conditioning systems in your house and about the part that air ducts play in process. Air ducts are the passages through which stale air in your home is removed and fresh air delivered to ensure consistent indoor air quality. To avoid scams you should first be aware of the signs that your air ducts need cleaning.
You should get your air ducts cleaned if:
* There is visible mold growth inside the ducts or other components of your heating or cooling system.
* Ducts are infested with microorganisms and/or insects.
* Ducts are clogged with dust and excessive debris.
* There is a noticeable change in the indoor air quality.
How to choose an air duct cleaning service
* Choose a licensed and a credible duct cleaning company. Do not assume that every company that advertises air duct cleaning services has the necessary level of expertise to get the job done right. Do not hesitate to verify accreditation and ask for references.
* Insist on transparency about the cleaning methods and products that are going to be used to clean your air ducts.
Indicators of a possible duct cleaning scam include:
* Duct cleaners offering service at unreasonably low rates. This will require you to compare price of different services.
* Duct cleaners who pressure you to buy additional services along with their duct cleaning service.
* Duct cleaner who encourage you to hire their services without inspecting your ducts.
Set up a regular schedule to inspect and monitor the health of your air ducts to avoid paying unnecessary money for unnecessary services.