Balusters Balusters

Balusters are usually a small vertical member in a railing used between a top rail and the stair treads or a bottom rail. There are two types of baluster turnings widely used today.

The tread or traditional oriented baluster turning follows the visual line of the stair tread at the bottom, and the handrail at the top. The visual effect of the traditional balusters is that the turnings step up along with the staircase creating the balustrade.

Most balusters come in a standard size of 1-1/4" or 1-3/4" square size. There are other sizes out there that are just a standard size of balusters.

Balusters can be custom made. You just need to find a retailer that does the custom made balusters. You have several options to choose from when buying balusters.

Some of the Milling Options for Balusters Include the Following:

  • Burkley Twist
  • Barkey Twist
  • Corkscrew Twist
  • Fluted
  • Hollow Flute

There are more options depending on the retailers. So take your time and get a good look at the options of balusters before ordering.

Got a New Project You're Proud of?

Post it on Your Projects!