Basic Safety Tips For Dog Kennels Basic Safety Tips For Dog Kennels
When you are away from home, a dog kennel can provide a secure shelter for your pet while keeping your home and furniture clean. Dog kennels can be used inside the house or in the backyard.
Depending on your dog’s size, you can buy a small kennel that can be used indoors or outdoors, a large portable outdoor model or a permanent outdoor kennel that offers ample space. A dog run is a large outdoor kennel that allows dogs to run from one end to the other. Dog runs are mostly used for outdoor dogs that require a lot of activity.
Kennels offer the perfect solution for keeping your dog safe and protected from the elements. They also keep the dog away from poisonous plants, infected animals and traffic on the street. Over time, a kennel can become a safe haven and your pet’s favorite hangout. You must follow some basic safety practices to ensure your dog’s health and protection in a kennel.
- Your dog must be properly trained before using a kennel. Failure to do so will result in anxiety and depression.
- If you leave the dog unattended for a long time, he will try to escape by chewing at the kennel or forcing his way out. This is very dangerous and can cause serious injuries or even death.
- Make sure to regularly interact with your dog. Do not leave him confined for long periods at a time.
- The kennel should be of adequate size and allow your dog comfortable movement.
- Use only high quality materials for construction.
- Read all instructions very carefully before assembling a dog kennel from a kit. Improper assembly can cause serious injury to your dog.
- If you are installing a permanent fixed-spot kennel, choose an area that is shaded and will protect the dog from intense heat during the summer.
- Never place your dog inside a kennel with the collar or tag still on. These devices can get entangled in the bars of the kennel and cause strangulation.
- Outdoor kennels can also be used as enclosed dog runs. Large dogs can benefit from this outdoor time and exercise. However, you must keep your dog indoors during extreme weather conditions. Alternatively, install a dog house inside the kennel to offer the dog protection from rain and hot sun.
- Most outdoor kennels or dog runs are made of chain link fence, which is very durable and also allows plenty of room and air. They offer dogs plenty of room to exercise. However, during hot weather, you must limit your dog’s exercise time and allow him plenty of rest. If the ground is too hot for your feet, chances are your dog’s soft paws are also hurting. Also, if the weather is cold, make sure your dog has a warm blanket that provides a soft resting surface.
- If you plan to be away for a few hours, make sure your dog has plenty of food and cool, clean water.