Bathroom Planning Checklist
Fixture Placement Requirements
- 15-inches or more of clearance space from the centerline of lavatory bowl to a wall or similar obstruction.
- 30-inches or more of clearance space between the centerlines of double-bowl lavatories.
- At least 30x48-inches of clear floor space in front of the lavatory.
- 16-inches from the centerline of a water closet or bidet to a wall or similar obstruction, or fixture adjacent to it.
- At least 48x48-inches of clear floor space in front of the water closet or bidet.
- Shower size large enough to comfortably use, at least 34x34-inches.
- Tub size large enough to comfortably use.
- At least 60x30-inches of clear floor space in front of the shower or tub.
- The bathroom entrance door swings so that it does not interfere with people in front of fixtures.
- Fixtures are located so that 2 people can use the space comfortably.
- Water closet and bidet in separate compartments or shielded from entrance view.
- Non-slip flooring.
- Ground fault circuit interrupter electrical receptacles.
- Electrical switches placed away from tub or shower.
- Grab-bars at shower or tub entrance and inside enclosure.
- No steps at the tub or shower.
- Safety glazing on glass used for shower doors.
- Shower door swings into bathroom, not into shower enclosure.
- Bench or seat included in shower enclosure.
- Pressure balanced water control valves used in shower.
- Temperature regulating water control valves used in shower.
Storage System Requirements
- Adequate counter or shelf space around lavatory.
- Adequate storage for grooming equipment, toiletries, and linens.
- Towel bars or rings located within reach of the fixtures.
- Bathroom linen and paper product storage space provided.
- Storage space for shampoo and such in the shower o tub area.
Mechanical System Requirements
- An efficient ventilation system is part of the plan.
- Bathroom heating system will keep the space comfortably warm.
- Task lighting provided at every functional area.
- General lighting provided throughout the bathroom.
Reprinted with permission from the National Kitchen and Bath Association.