Body Pillow for Pregnant Women Body Pillow for Pregnant Women
A body pillow is a special type of pillow that is as long as the body of an adult. Unlike standard pillows that only support the head and neck, body pillows can be positioned as desired, to provide support to the back, neck, shoulders, and legs. Body pillows are especially useful to pregnant women. During pregnancy, many women experience discomfort and difficulty to sleep. Pregnancy body pillows can alleviate most of the sleeping problems brought on by the changing shape and weight of pregnant women, and maximize the rest and relaxation they can get.
Types of Body Pillows
Body pillows are available in different shapes, sizes, and materials. Foam body pillows are firmer, and retain their shape when you move around in your sleep. If you prefer cushy pillows, you can buy a down pillow, which is squishy and provides soft support. Down pillows are usually much more expensive as compared to foam pillows. Some people who are allergic to down can choose "alternative down" pillows made of synthetic material. These pillows feel just as soft and also tend to be cheaper than original down, but may not last as long. Cotton pillows are also quite popular, but they tend to compress with use and become flat over time. Most body pillows manufactured nowadays are hypoallergenic and last for a long time with proper care.
Advantages of Body Pillow for Pregnant Women
- Most pregnant women only find it comfortable to sleep on the side, especially during the later stages of pregnancy. This position is also recommended by doctors, because it increases the availability of oxygen to the fetus. Body pillows are ideal for the side-sleeping position, which improves blood circulation and reduces swelling in pregnant women.
- Body pillows minimize back pain and discomfort, which is a common complaint among pregnant women. Use of a body pillow will support the entire body, unlike standard pillows that shift and move every time you turn.
- Use of a body pillow helps pregnant women to rest better and get a good night’s sleep. It can also be used as a comfortable support while reading or watching television.
- Pregnancy body pillows are available in many different shapes. These pillows can be arranged as required, to support the back or the stomach at different times. Some pillows can even be detached into multiple pieces, and used around different areas of the body. Most pregnancy body pillows serve well as nursing pillows for the baby.
- Body pillows provide a support for the growing belly, and thereby prevent strain on the back due to the increasing weight.
- Many women suffer from complications such as sciatica, back pain and joint swelling during pregnancy. Women can place a body pillow between their knees or place it in the front in a hugging position, to relax the body. Pregnancy body pillows have proven very effective in reducing the intensity of pregnancy-related body discomfort.
- Pregnancy body pillows are beneficial in reducing stress on the mother, thereby contributing to the well-being and growth of the baby as well.