Indoor Decorating Projects Under $1000 - Bathroom Indoor Decorating Projects Under $1000 - Bathroom
Sprucing up your bathroom can be a time-consuming and expensive remodel, depending how much you are willing to invest. But don't despair: A bathroom makeover can be done for under $1000. By adding a few accessories, a new vanity, light fixtures, and a new sink, you can turn your plain bathroom into a place of serenity and elegance.
Bathroom vanities are often the centerpiece of a bathroom during a remodeling or decorating project. Changing a vanity can add elegance or create a classic look to a bathroom. Vanities are good to store away items that need to be hidden from guests. The price of a new vanity can be as low as $85 or as high as $300 at a home improvement center. Prices on vanities can increase if you shop from a private company for specific brands or styles. Choosing the right vanity will help determine what sink, fixtures and accessories to get.
Changing the sink is one of the simplest and most inexpensive ways to upgrade the look of your bathroom. There are an unlimited amount of styles available to you, such as standard white porcelain, glass, granite, ceramic freestanding basin, or cultured marble. A good quality sink from a home improvement store can cost you an average of $34. A more unique and upscale looking one, such as a pedestal sink, can cost you an average of $98.
Besides adding a new sink, another way to make a difference to the appearance of your bathroom is to change fixtures. There are two ways to go about changing fixtures: You can buy a sink with fixtures already in place or purchase them separately. When purchasing a faucet, make sure that it fits your sink. Faucets come in different sizes, styles, finishes, and types and are not usually one size fits all. Faucets can cost anywhere from $38 to $238. Below are some faucet types and styles available.
- Widespread faucet sets have a spout with separate hot and cold water handles. All pieces appear to be separate. Widespread faucets are available from 6" to 16" drillings for three-hole pre-drilled installation basins.
- Single hole faucets have a spout and a single mixing handle all in one for single-handed control. Single lever faucets require one-hole drill installation basins. Some brands of single lever faucets have an optional 6" cover plate for pre-drilled 4" drill installations.
- Wall-mounted faucets are available for above-the-counter and freestanding basins that require a long spout for extended reach. Wall-mount faucets require a separate wall-mount valve and drain for installation. Make sure the spout is long enough for adequate basin clearance.
- Lever handles are the best universal design for children and older adults to grip and turn. Lever handles are available in many decorative styles.
- Cross handles are available in different finishes to coordinate with the room's decor.
- Motion activated faucets sometmes have interchangeable colored temperature control handles. These faucets are easy to use. Adjust the temperature and place your hands under the spout to activate the water flow.*
Adding light complements your decor and adds class to your personal style. Decorative vanity light fixtures are available in various finishes, including pewter, brass, nickel, wrought iron, and chrome, to coordinate with faucets and accessories. Lighting creates a mood for your bathroom based on how dim or bright you want it to be. Light fixtures can cost as low as $14 or as high as $400.
Updating your bathroom accessories can make a huge difference to the look of a bathroom and is easy on the pocket. Accessories include the towel rack, towel ring or hook, soap dispenser, towels, mirrors, toothbrush holder, garbage can, shower curtains or doors, cabinet hardware, and bathroom rugs. All accessories come in a variety of colors, finishes, types and styles. You can shop for accessories at local home improvement centers, design stores, or online.
* Information Provided by Lowes Lavatory Faucets Buying Guide