Build Your Own Custom Scarf Rack Build Your Own Custom Scarf Rack
A few years ago I made an entry bench out of redwood 2x4s and 4x4s so my wife and I would have a place to sit and take off our shoes. I incorporated a tall post with hooks into the design for hats and scarves. Fast forward through a few winters and changes in fashion and you couldn’t even see the wood because of all the accumulated scarves. They needed their own solution before our entryway was completely clogged. A friend suggested a design she’d seen in a department store, inspiring me to hit the lumber yard for a one-day project.
Step 1 - Plan for the Space
I knew the basic shape and idea for the scarf rack, but the actual dimensions were determined by the space where it would hang. We picked a hallway, so it would be easy to get to, but not be visible or in the way all the time. The wall was wide open and I finalized the plan. Now that I had my height and width, I could go shopping.
All the materials were easy to find at the home store and sold in lengths friendly to my car. I got everything to my shop and started the build.
Step 2 - Measure and Cut and Drill and Cut
I used a circular saw to cut down the pine, creating the top, bottom and sides.
An inexpensive pipe cutter got the copper to length, and I had my rungs.
Sandwiching the boards together, I drilled 1/2-inch holes at even intervals for the rungs. I used a jigsaw to scallop between these holes, thus lightening the overall look of the piece. An electric router with an ogee bit classed up the edges.
Step 3 - Assemble
I used pocket holes to join the frame, adding glue for extra strength. A couple of corner pieces on the bottom reinforced the overall structure. Once it was together, I ran the pipes through their holes, creating the rungs.
To secure the pipes, I drilled through the front of the wood and into the copper. Then I drove screws through those pilot holes and everything was solid.
Step 4 - Last touches
I added mirror hangers to the back of the frame as a means to secure it to the wall and took a look at it in place. It was a little bare up top, but some decorative molding, secured with brads, took care of that.
The unit was finally hung on the wall with drywall anchors. My wife then went to work loading it up with her scarves (if you look close, you can see that two of them on the very bottom are mine). We took a step back and really liked the transformation.
Not only did we clear out the entryway and create better organization, but because of all the colors and textures of the cloth, the whole piece became functional art to liven up the apartment.