Building a Patio: Sand Laying Building a Patio: Sand Laying
The first step of building a brick or paver patio is laying down patio sand. This process is important because it allows you to level the pavers and keep them from moving.
Steps to Laying Patio Sand
- Notch the grass in the area which will become the patio. The section should be 2.5 to 3-inches deep. The width and length should be equal to the patio width and length.
- Lay sand down filling in the notched area with 2 inches of sand. Use a hoe or rake to make the sand as level as possible.
- Tamp the sand down, making it as firm as possible.
- Add water. Then allowe the sand settle for 24 hours.
- Using a rake or hoe, adjust the sand as necessary until it is level.
- Tamp the sand down a second time until it is firm and packed well.
Once these steps have been completed, the sand should be well-formed and ready for you to install the pavers. While working with the pavers, it is a good idea to kneel on a piece of plywood. This will help to prevent your weight from disturbing the sand.