Cleaning Granite Countertops Cleaning Granite Countertops
Cleaning granite countertops can be done quickly and affordably. The most important thing to do is protect your countertop from acids like vinegar. Cleaning granite countertops requires a little bit of your time, but it’s worth it!
Cleaning Granite Countertops
Cleaning granite countertops requires granite countertop cleaner, stone soap, or a mild dish soup. You can use any one of these products, but the granite countertop cleaner is convenient, affordable and probably your best bet.
Use a clean, soft cloth to clean the granite. Rinse the cloth when you are done and don’t use your cloth for any other cleaning projects.
Removing Stains Using Granite Countertop Cleaner
When you get a stain, quick action is needed. You can use a commercial granite countertop cleaner or try one of these other suggestions:
• If you have a grease stain on your granite countertop, mix a paste of liquid dish soup and water. Scrape away the residue you can and, apply the mixture and blot stain spot. Repeat as needed.
• When cleaning granite countertops with stubborn stain, mix flour with 2 tablespoons liquid dish soup and apply to stain. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit overnight.
• Cleaning granite countertops that have organic stains like coffee or fruit, mix 12% hydrogen peroxide with a couple of drops of ammonia and apply. Blot dry.
• For wine, ink or stains from a marker use acetone or lacquer thinner on dark granite, and hydrogen peroxide on light granite. Leave for 30 minutes then remove and rinse clean.
• You can also use a mix of mold plaster and bleach on wine, ink, or marker stains. Leave for 30 minutes then remove and rinse clean.
Resealing Granite Countertops
You should clean your granite countertops regularly; however, every two years you should reseal your countertop as well. On food prep areas use a non toxic sealer. Ask your installer for recommended products for your granite countertop.
By regularly cleaning and properly caring for your granite countertops, they will last a lifetime.