Convert an Old Chandelier into a Swag Lamp in 6 Steps Convert an Old Chandelier into a Swag Lamp in 6 Steps
If you want to install a Chandelier in your home, and don't want to run wire up in to the ceiling or install a new breaker, you'll need to convert your new chandelier into a swag lamp so that it can use a standard plug-in cord and be plugged into an electrical outlet. Converting a standard chandelier into a swag lamp involves no complicated wiring or tools. Kits to convert chandeliers to swag lamps are sold at most home improvement stores, and include everything that you'll need to make the conversion. Here is a guide to show you how to do it.
Step 1 - Install the Electrical Cord
- Using your wire strippers, strip about 1 inch of the wire cover coating from each of the two wires that lead out of the chandelier.
- Take notice of any special markings on the wires or the coloring of the wires to make sure that you connect the correct wires to the new electrical cord.
- Connect the wires for the chandelier to the electrical cord that came with your swag lamp kit.
- Use wire caps or electrical tape to secure the connections and insulate them properly.
Step 2 - Install the Cord Cover
Place the cord cover over the electrical wires, and make sure that none of the electrical wire is visible. You will need to thread the cord through the chain or covering that came with your swag lamp kit.
Step 3 - Install the Ceiling Hooks
- Locate a stud or ceiling joist and screw the hook into a stud or joist so the weight of the chandelier will not cause the hook to simply pull out of the ceiling.
- Install a second ceiling hook in the ceiling closest to the wall where the electrical outlet to be used is located.
Step 4 - Hang the Chandelier
Hang the chandelier from the first ceiling hook that you installed, and make sure that the hook adequately supports the weight of the chandelier.
Step 5 - Drape the Electrical Wire
Before plugging the chandelier in, drape the excess cord, chain or cover over the second ceiling hook. When draping the cord over the hook, make sure that the chain or cover does not hang too low.
Step 6 - Plug in the Electrical Cord
Plug in the electrical cord to the outlet, and test the chandelier by turning it on. If the chandelier light does not turn on, you'll need to check the connections that you made from the chandelier to the new swag lamp kit electrical cord. Make sure that you connected the wires correctly matching colors or matching positive to positive and negative to negative.