Dos and Don'ts of Basic Decorating
- Decide on a budget at the beginning of you project. If your funds are limited, decorate your rooms one at a time.
- Buy items that will have the most pronounced effect on the room first - like carpet, furniture and wallpaper. Accessories can be added later.
- Keep a scrapbook of decorating ideas, wallpaper samples, colors schemes, etc.
- Be sure to create a personalized room, not an imitation of someone else's. Your personality should shine through, as well as your lifestyle.
- Buy wallpaper, fabric and floor coverings for their practical as well as decorative effect. Keep in mind kids, pets, lifestyle.
- Make a ceiling the fifth wall of the room. Remember walls can be one color or pattern, ceilings another.
- To mix textures in a room, make sure there is a common denominator, like a common color.
- Fall for fads in style and design. You'll tire of them quickly.
- Buy products because they are a bargain. Always make your furnishings an investment in the value of your home.
- Fill every inch of space. Leave some breathing room for favorite items to stand out.
- Use too many similar textures in a room. They can cancel each other out.
- Be afraid to experiment with different colors, textures and kinds of wallpapers.
Content Provided by the Wallcoverings Association (WA).