Using Wallcoverings to Create a Folding Screen Using Wallcoverings to Create a Folding Screen
A decorative folding screen can be used to add impact to a room, divide a large room, or to create a privacy divider. To create a folding screen like the one below just follow these simple steps.
1. Gather materials needed:
- Three hollow-core interior doors (18" x 80" x 1 3/8")
- Primer, suitable for paint and wallcovering
- Paint to coordinate with the wallcovering
- Six double-action hinges (1 1/8" x 2") with screws
- Six 1" glides
- Drill and drill bit (size depends on size of screws for hinges)
2. Apply the primer to the doors then paint the side edges of the doors, extending the paint about 1/2" around the edges to front and back. If you are only going to be applying the wallcovering to the front of the door, paint the back. Apply a second coat of paint if necessary.
3. Cut the wallcovering to the dimensions of the door. Use a framing square to ensure 90 degree corners.
4. Apply the wallcovering to the door and smooth it in place with a damp sponge.
5. Trim the wallcovering about 1/8" from the edges of the door to prevent peeling or fraying.
6. Embellish and decorate as desired. Use cutouts or wallpaper border to add the finishing touches.
Building Your Screen
To assemble the screen, follow these simple steps:
1. Position the middle door on one outer door, aligning all edges. Place an open hinge on the edge of the doors in the center, with the center of the hinge between the doors. Mark the placement of screws. Mark the placement for the top and bottom hinges about 10" from the upper and lower edges of the door. Predrill the holes and attach the hinges.
2. Position the remaining outer door on the middle door. Attach the three remaining hinges to the edges of these doors opposite the previously attached hinges.
3. Tap the glides into the bottom of the doors near each end.
4. Enjoy your new screen!
Content Provided by the Wallcoverings Association (WA).