Door Knob Replacement: A Step-by-Step Guide Door Knob Replacement: A Step-by-Step Guide
Performing a door knob replacement when renovating or moving to a new home is a short, simple process.
Steps to Perform a Door Knob Replacement
- Using a Phillips or flathead screwdriver, remove the screws which hold the original door knob in place. If no screws are visible, the door knob has an escutcheon plate. In this case, press on the clip located on the shaft of the door knob to release the plate and remove it.
- Pull the two sides of the door knob apart.
- Remove the screws holding the striker and striker plate in. Pull the striker out.
- Place the new striker in through the side of the door. Screw it down using either the screws provided with the new door knob or the original screws.
- Insert both sides of the new door knob in through the striker. Hand thread the two screws with several turns on each side, then use the screwdriver to tighten them.