Care and Cleaning Tips for Upholstery
There are simple ways homeowners can help to enhance the useful life of their upholstered furniture. Some of these upholstery-friendly care tips include:
- Giving the upholstered furniture a light brushing and vacuuming at least once a week will help to remove dirt from the fabric. A light brushing will help to keep the fabric clean and keep dirt from penetrating the upholstery.
- The cushions on upholstered furniture should be reversed and turned once a week as well. This frequent turning will help the cushions wear evenly. Reversing the cushions on a regular basis will also help you spot any stains early, before they have had time to set.
- If any spots or stains are noted, be sure to remove them right away using a mild cleanser. When cleaning the upholstered furniture, always start with the weakest solution possible, slowly building the concentration until the stain has been fully eradicated.
- An ounce of prevention can be worth a pound of cure when it comes to protecting and preserving expensive upholstered furniture. Those with children or pets may want to consider using a cover to protect the furniture. The cover can both help to prevent stains and make their removal a lot easier.
- When it its time to clean the upholstery, it is important to choose an effective cleaner. Choose a cleaner that is safe for your fabric, and one that does not contain any harsh chemicals or abrasive elements. It is also a good idea to choose a cleaner that both cleanses and deodorizes.
- Before cleaning the upholstery, brush or vacuum away the loose dirt first. This will help to avoid rubbing in any existing dirt as the fabric is cleaned.
- A strong brush can be used to apply the cleaner to stained areas. When brushing the stained area, avoid rubbing or scrubbing the fabric too hard.
- After a minute or two the cleaner can then be carefully wiped away using a damp sponge or cloth.
- The upholstery should be carefully dried after it has been cleaned. Leaving a window open or running a fan will help the fabric dry more quickly and more thoroughly.
Cleaning upholstered fabrics is not always easy, but it is important to care for these special fabrics carefully. With the right care and the right cleaning, fine upholstered fabrics can retain their wonderful good looks for many years to come.