Fireplace Mantel Shelf Construction in 12 Steps Fireplace Mantel Shelf Construction in 12 Steps
Creating a beautiful and easy fireplace mantel shelf to your fireplace can not only add a touch of elegance to a room, but give you a convenient place to display pictures or keepsakes.
Tools and Materials
- 1 3/4 inch x 10 inch x 105 inch wood for top piece
- 1 1 inch x 1 1/2 inch x 107 inch wood for front cove molding
- 2 1 inchx 1 1/2 inch x 11 inch wood for side cove moldings
- 1 6 1/4 inch x 105 inch wood for front crown molding
- 2 6 1/4 inch x 11 inch wood for side crown moldings
- 1 1/2 inch x 5 3/4 inch x 96 1/2 inch wood for bottom
- 1 3/4 inch x 6 1/4 inch x 96 1/2 inch wood for brace
- 1 1/2 inch x 1 1/2 inch x 105 inch wood for front nailer
- 2 1/2inch x 1 1/2 inch x 8 1/2 inch wood for side nailers
- 1 1 inch x 3 inch x 100 inch wood for ledger
- 1 inch finish nails
- 1 1/2 inch finish nails to secure cove and crown moldings
- 2 inch finish nails to secure mantel assembly to the ledger
- 2 1/2inch drywall screws
- Table saw
- Radial arm saws
- Wood glue
- Power miter
- Use table and radial arm saws to cut lumber to proper widths & lengths for top, bottom, brace, front nailer, side nailers & ledger.
- Glue and nail nailers to under side of top. Make sure nailers are flush with the front & side edges of the top. Nail from the bottom side.
- Glue and nail brace to top so it hangs vertically flush with wall.
- Cut the side cove moldings to 45 degrees for the front corners and 90 degrees on the other ends so they will sit flush to the wall
- Glue and nail side cove moldings to the side edges of top. Make sure cove moldings are positioned flush with the top of top piece.
- Cut both ends of the front cove molding to 45 degrees and then glue and nail into position. Nail to top and side cove moldings.
- Cut the side crown moldings to 45 degrees for the front corners and 90 degrees on the other ends so they will fit flush to the wall.
- Glue and nail side crown moldings to the nailers and brace.
- Cut both ends of the front crown molding to 45 degrees and then glue and nail to front nailer and side crown molding.
- Cut bottom to fit, and then glue and nail to brace. Also nail all crown moldings to the bottom.
- Measure and mark wall for desired height and position of ledger. Cut ledger to proper length and then attach to the wall using 2 1/2 inch drywall screws. Make sure ledger is level and screws go into wall studs. Locate center of studs.
- Position mantel on wall ledger and secure by nailing top to wall ledger.