Floor Joists Floor Joists
Floor joists are an important part of any floor. They help support the foundation and make the floor solid. Learning how to install floor joists properly is very important for your home.
- When choosing boards to be the floor joists it’s important to use a high quality grade of wood as well as making sure that it is free from defects such as knots. This will ensure that the wood’s strength is at its full potential. Also when picking the wood you want to stick to 2x6, 2x8, or 2x10. Anything lower then that will not offer enough support.
- When installing the floor joists you should lay them out every 16” which will be their spacing length.
- Make sure that when you install the floor joists that they are against a bearing wall to help support them as time wears on them.
Important Facts for Installing Floor Joists
- When installing the floor joists you have to make sure they are level and straight at all costs. If they are not they will fail.
- If you install the joists with joist hangers double check to make sure that they are installed properly.