Foam Crown Molding: Benefits and Drawbacks
A foam crown molding is a decorative strip made of Styrofoam that is placed on the part of the wall connected to the ceiling. This molding can have highly detailed patterns and is available in various styles and designs. Nonetheless, before you have one attached on your walls, it is always advantageous to know the benefits and drawbacks of having this type of crown molding.
Benefits of Having Foam Crown Molding
- The material is less expensive compared to other types of crown moldings.
- It can be installed easily by homeowners using only a caulking gun and adhesives.
- It takes less time to install compared to regular crown moldings.
- Foam molding does not decay and crack easily.
- It is resistant to rotting, insect damage and even moisture.
- It can be repainted without applying primer.
- Styrofoam is lightweight and can last for a long time.
- It can be bought with pre-cut corners.
Drawbacks of Using Styrofoam Crown Molding
- The material needs to be painted to match home interior design.
- Styrofoam can melt easily when exposed to extreme heat and flames.
- It can also release toxic fumes when burned.
- Styrofoam is prone to denting and is not as durable as wood crown molding.