Furniture Hardware: Selecting And Installing Glides And Levelers Furniture Hardware: Selecting And Installing Glides And Levelers
If furniture repair is on your to-do list, then you are probably shopping for furniture hardware. Some of the easiest repairs to make are installing furniture glides and levelers. Follow these steps to repair your own like a professional.
Step 1– Decide on Hardware Type
- Glides - Furniture glides are, quite simply, attachments you can add to the legs of your furnishings to make it easier to move from one place to another; to eliminate any wobbling; and to prevent floors from getting scuffed.
- Levelers - Furniture levelers are a great way to keep your “stuff” upright and even, keeping it from toppling over.
Step 2 - Select Glides and Levers
Selection of furniture glides and levelers is probably the toughest part of the project because installation can be quite easy. You first need to know that there are literally hundreds of styles and types to choose from.
The easiest thing to do is to purchase a combination form, which simply means that the hardware is both products in one; a glide and leveler.
Step 3 – Considerations
Basically there are three main things to consider when making this purchase.
- Size – You will need to determine a specific size that will work with the piece of furniture that you are attaching it to. Obviously, the heavier the furniture, the more heavy duty you will want the hardware to be.
- Style – You can have fun with this piece as there are so many options to choose from. Depending on the furniture, you may want to consider the aesthetics. There are definitely options that are more attractive in appearance and you can try to match your décor, or at least the piece of furniture. The price can vary quite a bit too, depending on the style you choose.
- Type – You will need to decide how the hardware will function. If it is mainly to protect the floor, then the glide will be what you want. If you are looking to keep something level, then a leveler is what you want. Or you could just buy the combination type for the best results.
You will need to decide on the strength of what you need as there are some made of heavy steel and some made of nylon. There are also options that include a swivel feature and hex-based models.
Step 4 – Installation of Glides
This is a fairly easy process, depending on the size of your furniture piece. For most simple glides it is a matter pushing it in, or tapping lightly with a hammer until is all the way installed. Of course you will want to center the glide for each leg of the furniture.
Step 5 – Installation of Levelers
For a leveler it again depends on the size of the furniture and the leveler. For most, it's a simple process of screwing the leveler into the leg piece. Some are more involved and for those you will need to follow the manufacturer’s instructions.