Home Building Checklist Home Building Checklist
There cannot be two opinions that home building is a daunting task and if you do not plan perfectly and exercise care to implement every step meticulously, things can easily go awry resulting in loss of time and money. When it comes to home building, you have to keep planning on a continuing basis and prepare a checklist to ensure that work is progressing as planned without any hiccups.
Preliminary Check List
This is a simple check list that you should prepare immediately after you have conceptualize your dream home project and before commencing construction work.
- Is the plot plan ready?
- Are you firmly aware of the boundaries of your plot?
- Is the proposed house is well within the plot with sufficient passages on all sides?
- Have you photographed the site from different perspectives?
- Make sure there will not be any hurdles in obtaining building approvals
- Verify and satisfy that there will be no road changes or other government take-over bids
- Check for the availability of gas, electricity, sewerage and water
Please remember every building site is unique and it is essential that you consider different building plans and construction methods to be get the optimum results out of your available land.
Home Building Checklist
- You have to first decide on the type of construction. If you wish a unique customized design built to your specific requirements and taste. The construction will be more expensive and your continued supervision and involvement will be necessary. Alternately, you may buy one of the standard plans available with the builders and construct the house accordingly.
- You have to apply your mind and compile a list of construction specifications. The construction specifications sheet will contain details of the number of rooms and their sizes, type of windows and doors, flooring tiles, wall colors, built-in cupboards and wardrobes, garage location, sit-out, pathways and corridors, electrical fittings, water pipes, sanitary type and kitchen interiors. The specification plan should exhaustively define the type of materials and that will be required for the construction.
- Identify an experienced and competent architect with a sound track record to obtain a construction plan based on your specifications. Armed with the architectural plan seek quotes from reputed building contractors. Please read and understand the builder's contract or quote and satisfy what they do and do not cover.
- You can refer the directory the contact particulars of pre-screened home building contractors and construction service providers. The critical part is you should know how to negotiate with the contractors. Ascertain if the builder is licensed and covered for general liability and workmen's compensation insurance.
- As your construction progresses, personally inspect each phase of the project before making payment. The payment will have to be necessarily staggered and paid after you are satisfied with each phase of completion. Please bear in mind that once you pay, things will go out of control and you will be hard put to carry out any corrections.
Be completely involved with your home construction project. This is essential to avoid time and cost overruns. You have to promptly address every problem as it arises lest they turn into serious repair work later on. After all, remember it is building your dream home and all your strains will prove rewarding in the end when you move in with your family.