Hot Topics: How to Patch a Hole in Drywall

Lead Image

Here on we enjoy providing a place where home improvement novices and experts can come together to share ideas and advice. Inside our Forums, users can browse threads to see what exchanges are taking place on a topic of interest or start their own dialogue by posting something for the community to take part in. With over 250,000 members and counting, this resource is quite active so each week we highlight one of the conversations that may just help you with that next DIY project.

There's always more than one way to approach a DIY project, especially one as common as a hole in drywall. As always, the forum gives this DIYer details on this easy fix.

Original Post: How to Patch This Hole in Drywall

Rolomoto Member

It's at the joint where a vaulted ceiling meets the wall. It's about 4" long and 0.5" wide. It's on a longer fault line (see pic) that runs further down the wall. Thanks for any help!

A hole in drywall.

A crack in drywall.

pugsl Forum Topic Moderator

There's a couple of ways. First, the way I like is to to cut the hole from stud to stud and square it up as good as you can. Then, cut a piece of drywall to fit the hole, tape, and mud. The other way is to square up the hole and put a backer board in the hole, screw a board to each side and then put a piece of drywall in the hole and screw it to the board. Tape and mud.

Norm201 Member

You might be able to just put patch into the hole without any backer. It will require at least two coats to bring it up to level with sanding between. What's important is to know what caused the hole. If it was stress, then you need to do the patch as Pugsl suggested. If it was put here because something hit it, then maybe just a quick plaster patch will do.

marksr Forum Topic Moderator

Looks too wide for just filling it in with joint compound. If it's narrow enough, you could cover it with drywall tape embedded in joint compound.

Marq1 Member

It's about 4" long and 0.5" wide. Minor repair; stuff with compound!

marksr Forum Topic Moderator

Not sure how I missed the size description. I'd definitely use tape!

stickshift Group Moderator

What do you mean by fault line? If you have an issue which is causing a problem with the rock, that needs to be addressed first.

marksr Forum Topic Moderator

I assume that means where the edge of the tape is failing. Clarification would be nice, though.

Rolomoto Member

Thanks for the replies! After looking at it again and removing some more material, I see that this is apparently just tape that joins the vaulted ceiling drywall to the wall drywall. Apparently this is how walls and ceilings are joined. I guess I would have to remove the old tape and re-tape and mud that over. By fault line, I'm referring to what appears to be a crack in the drywall along the rest of the wall, but it's the tape that has broken and cracked. I hope some of this makes sense.

marksr Forum Topic Moderator

Originally the tape was folded and then adhered to both the wall and ceiling with joint compound. I wouldn't go through that much trouble for your repair. You can mud and apply the tape flat over the hole and areas that have cracked. Add more mud when dry (repeat if needed) sand, and texture and it's ready for primer and paint.

To read the rest of this thread, look here: //