Terms of the Trade: What Are Rawlplugs or Wall Plugs?

Wall plugs, or rawlplugs as they're called in the United Kingdom, are plastic inserts with a screw attached that are used on walls otherwise not able to hold up objects with just a screw. They're essentially anchors that offer support for the screw. A predrilled hole holds the wall plug, which then holds the scew. As the screw is tightened, the wall plug expands and conforms to the wall material, anchoring and securing itself into the wall. They're particularly useful in situations typical screws and fasteners may not work well, such as masonry or plasterboard.