Hot Topics: When You Know the Tool You Need, But Not What It's Called

Lead Image

Here at we enjoy providing a place where home improvement novices and experts can come together to share ideas and advice. Inside our Forums, users can browse threads to see what exchanges are taking place on a topic of interest or start their own dialogue by posting something for the community to take part in. With over 250,000 members and counting, this resource is quite active so each week we highlight one of the conversations that may just help you with that next DIY project.

Often the right tool for the right job has a lot of wiggle room. But sometimes something’s held in place that only one key’s going to open that lock. You know what you’re doing and you know the tool you need, but if you don’t know what to call it, how do you ask for it? The Forum names names.

Original Post: Looking for a tool: What's it called?

Tony P. Member

I have a whirlpool tub leaking at the gasket between the tub suction point and the pipe leading to the pump. At the tub the connection is tightened by placing a tool that looks something (I believe) like a caliper in two pencil point-size holes and turning it. I don't have the tool. Any help on what this tool is called would be appreciated.

Highlights from the Thread

Vermont Member

Could it be a Snap Ring Pliers?

aka pedro Member

Or could it be a spanner wrench?

Tony P. Member

Way to go, Pedro. Spanner wrench is it. Thanks to all who contributed.

joecaption Member

To add to that, it's called a pin spanner. Lots of different sized pins so measure before buying one. Any real local industrial supply would have them. Also on line MSC, McMaster Carr, Granger.

Read more at: //

Photo by Martin Sprocket & Gear, inc