Hot Tub Maintenance: How to Remove Scale from Your Hot Tub
Hot tub maintenance is very important as it reduces risk of mold, bacterial and other types of unsanitary growth. Hot tub scale is an unsightly buildup along the upper edges of the tub at the water line. There are two ways to remove scale. This article will tell you about those two ways.
Muriatic Acid Washdown
Muriatic acid is an acidic liquid that is not very corrosive and safe to use on fiberglass hot tubs. As you work, wear a pair of heavy kitchen gloves and safety glasses or a safety face shield.
- In a strong plastic bucket, mix up a 10 to 1 water to acid solution.
- Drain the hot tub.
- Wet a rag. Be careful not to get your skin wet.
- Scrub briskly but carefully the areas with scale buildup.
- Rinse completely.
- Refill and maintain proper chemical balances.
Use ScaleTec Plus
ScaleTec Plus should be available at your local pool supply store.
- Add ScaleTec directly to pool water following label directions.
- Water level should be kept 1 to 2 inches above scale line until cleaned.
- For best results run pump for at least 8 hours a day until scale is gone.
Of the 2 listed options the muriatic acid is going to be much quicker, but the ScaleTec will be much safer and won’t affect the chemical balance of your hot tub. Plus, there won’t be any downtime.