How Much Metal Roof Material Do You Need? How Much Metal Roof Material Do You Need?
You may need to buy matieral to install or repair your metal roof. To determine how much roof material you need for your project, you should know how it is sold.
Metal Roofing Measurements
Metal roofing comes in 24 and 36-inch wide measurements. However, each of these widths also provides for 2-inch overlap on both sides. You can purchase metal roofing material in any length you need and have it cut to the appropriate length before you install it.
- For each plane of the roof, determine the linear feet by calculating the width of the plane.
- Add an overhang of 6 inches for each plane.
- If you have multiple planes, add the measurements for each plane to calculate total linear width of the entire roof.
- For each plane, measure the length and add 3 inches for the sides of the roof. If you have multiple planes, add these totals together.
- Multiply the total width by the total length for the total roof area.
- Divide the total roof area by the width of the metal roofing material you intend to use. This will determine the amount of roofing material you need.