How to Add Decorative Tiers to a Ceiling How to Add Decorative Tiers to a Ceiling
A decorative ceiling can be added to a room to give an elegant look. To enhance a ceiling and make it look nice, you have to use decorative tiers also known as decorative chandeliers, pendants or lighting fixtures. These come in a wide variety of styles such as two-tier, three-tier, four-tier or multi-tiered. You can add these decorative tiers to ceilings as follows.
Step 1 - Turn off the Electrical Power
To begin, you must check to see if the lights are on or off. If they are on, switch them off. This is a safety measure.
Step 2 - Take out Ceiling Board/Canopy
- Remove the screws and take out the board to reach the outlet box for the ceiling
- Carefully take out the connectors to the wiring
- Use an electric tester to see if the electrical power is in the off position.
Step 3 - Remove the Ceiling Electrical Box
- Take out the screws from the brackets that hold the power box in its place
- When the power box is attached to the ceiling rafters with nails, you should use a ply-bar to remove the power box
- Remove the box and carefully take out the wires
Step 4 - Fix the Fixture
- Adjust the fixture brace and make it short by twisting the 5-sided bar
- Put the fixture in place inside the hole and make sure it’s firmly fixed on the ceiling
Step 5 - Connect the Cable
- Take a slotted screwdriver and pry one knock-out plug from the edges of the outlet box
- If there is no cable connector, fix a non-metallic connector onto the knock-out hole on the power box
- Pass the feed cable via the connectors
- Secure the cable into place by tightening the screws on the cable sheath.
Step 6 - Replace the Electrical Power Box
- Put the U-bolt on top of the fixture brace
- Push the flange support into the ends of the threaded bolts
- Fix the nuts tightly on both sides of the U-bolt
- Put the power box back inside the ceiling
- Fix the power box to U-bolt using hexagonal nuts and firmly tighten them
Step 7 - Adjust the Fixture-Mounting Bar
- Take the fixture and remove the shades. Change the length of the fixtures braces by using short wires or taking out chain links
- Pull the nipple into the mounting bar
- Push the wires into the nipple
- Fix the fixture-mounting bar to the power box
Step 8 - Connect the Wires
- Put the ground wire for the cable around the screw and firmly tighten it
- Take the end of the fixture ground wire and attach it to cable ground wire
- Join the ends of the cable and chandelier wires.
Step 9 - Cover the Wires
- Conceal the wires by tucking them inside the power box
- Push the ceiling board back into place and make sure no wire is sticking out
- Put the glass shades and light bulbs back onto the fixture
- Switch on the power to see if the installation is working