How to Care for Slate Tile Floors How to Care for Slate Tile Floors
One of the most durable floor coverings, slate tile floors, are a long lasting floor covering that is perfect your next remodeling project. Many people are trying to save money by buying durable products that will last, will not require a lot of maintenance, and are easy to clean. Slate tile floors make that available for home owners.
As a result of a bond of silt and clay particles, which are put under extremely high temperatures and pressure, slate tile floors are made to be very durable. They are almost impenetrable to any type of liquid and can withstand sudden, heavy impacts. Slate tile floors are also available in a wide range of colors, sizes, and shapes making them a popular choice for kitchen, bathroom, and entry way floors. Another place where slate tile floors are popular, is a patio, as they can withstand the weather exposure.
Maintaining Slate Tile Floors
As with any type of floor covering, periodic maintenance will go a long way towards the overall life of the tile. With these inspections you should look for certain things:
- Crumbling grout - Look for signs of the grout starting to crumble. If this is found, then carefully work the crumbling parts out with a small chisel, or brush, and re-grout the area.
- Chipped ends of tile - Inspect the tiles for small chips or breaks. If left too long they can lead to further cracks and could possibly spread to other tiles. Replace the broken tile as soon as possible.
There are also some other keys to keeping your slate floor tiles looking new:
- Wipe up spills immediately - Slate tile can be slippery when they are wet as the water does not permeate the tile. Water will sit on top of the tile which will cause a very slippery area.
- Wear socks or slippers on slate floors - The oils in your skin can slightly mar the surface of the tile and attract dirt. If not cleaned quickly, these oils can also stain the tile.
- Apply a sealant on a regular basis - Sealing will help protect the surface from stains and help it to keep a shiny gloss.
Cleaning Slate Tile Floors
While maintaining the floor tiles is an important aspect of keeping your floors looking new, cleaning them on a regular, even daily, basis will also keep them shining.
- Always sweep, the floor very carefully before washing, or mopping, the floor.
- Use warm water to wash a slate tile floor with no soap. Make sure you ring the mop out thoroughly, if you use one, and let dry completely before walking on it, or replacing any rugs.
- If you do have a stain, clean it with a towel soaked in hydrogen peroxide. You can then use a combination of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide as a paste to cover stain. Let it set before wiping off.
- Remove stains from the grout with a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water in a spray bottle. Spay on and let sit for 20 minutes. Wipe off and let dry.