Lace curtains look elegant wherever they are hung-under curtains or drapes or alone as a window cover. While they provide filtered sunlight through the window, they also accumulate a build-up of dust that needs to be cleaned thoroughly to prevent the delicate lace fabric from looking dull and dirty. Follow these steps to clean your lace curtains.
- Remove your lace curtains from their rods and lay them on a chair or a clean table.
- Fill a bucket with warm water and add a mild laundry detergent to it along with a spoonful or two of ammonia. Mix it well to create lather.
- Put the curtains into the bucket, allowing them to soak into the foamy mixture completely. Leave in the bucket for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the curtains and rinse them under running water for several minutes. Do not wring them since it could cause a tear. Place the lace curtains between 2 towels and press gently to remove excess water.
- Hang the curtains on a clothesline to dry in the sun.
You may also wash your lace curtains in a washing machine if it has a hand-wash cycle.
- Fill it with lukewarm water.
- Add a mild detergent and place your curtains for a short wash cycle.
- Remove excess water by patting them with towels and then hang in the sun to dry.