How to Cover a Laminate Backsplash How to Cover a Laminate Backsplash
If you want to cover a laminate backsplash in your kitchen, it is important to make sure that the laminate is stable and secure. If the laminate is peeling or cracked, you make want to remove the laminate instead of covering it with another medium.
Step 1 – Prepare Surface Properly
Begin by washing the laminate backsplash area thoroughly with warm water and a sponge (you may want to use simple dish soap to remove stains if necessary). Once this are a is clean and dry, apply a deglossing agent or paint thinner with a 3 inch bristle paint brush, depending on the laminate surface.
After the laminate is fully dried, you may want to use sand paper or a sander to go over the surface if it is a textured laminate or not completely smooth. If you are planning to paint over the laminate and it is already a smooth surface suitable for paint, sanding the laminate is not necessary.
Step 2 – Choosing a Medium to Cover Your Laminate
At this point you will want to prepare your tools and materials for whichever medium you choose to cover your laminate backsplash.
- Set out enough tiles to cover laminate before applying grout for easy application.
- Apply grout to a portion of laminate area using spackle knife. Choose a suitable portion size that will allow you to place the tiles before grout dries on laminate.
- Carefully place tiles over grout equidistant from each other. Make sure you use enough force so that tile is securely set in grout.
- Use sponge and warm water to clean any grout or debris on tiles.
- Allow tiles to dry overnight.
- Measure area to be wallpapered and cut wallpaper to fit laminate area accordingly.
- Pour wallpaper glue into a paint tray and apply to laminate using a paint roller.
- Carefully place wallpaper strips over wallpaper glue. Use your hands to smooth our air bubbles and pull wallpaper taut.
- When applying additional strips of wallpaper, overlap the new strip over the previous strip approximately ½” – 1” to your liking.
- Allow wallpaper to dry overnight.
- Tape off the laminate area to be painted with 1/4 inch painter's tape.
- Use a 3 inch bristle paint brush to apply two coats of latex paint primer. Let dry for 2 hours.
- After primer has dried, apply a layer or two of the interior latex paint.
- Once paint has completely dried, remove painters tape.
Step 3 – Finishing Up
After the medium you have chose to cover your laminate has been applied and thoroughly set or dried you may want to wash off any remaining debris. There also may be need to apply touch-ups to paint if you that is what you chose to cover your laminate.