How to Dry a Fresh Rose
There is more than one way to to dry a fresh rose. The method you choose will depend on the number of roses you will be drying and how you intend to use the roses after they are dried.
How to Dry Roses in a Dark Place
You will need wire, clothes hanger and a dark place to hang the roses while drying.
- Cut the rose off of the plant or bush.
- Cut the stem off as close to the flower as you can without disturbing the rose.
- Poke the wire into the bottom of the flower (where the stem was) as far as you can without it coming out the other side.
- Wrap the end of the wire opposite of the flower around a clothes hanger.
- Repeat steps one through four until you have prepared all the flowers.
- Hang the hanger in a dark area and wait for the flowers to dry. A full drying process will take anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks.
How to Dry Roses Using Sand
This method of drying is a bit more difficult and you should use extreme care to keep the flowers intact and looking nice. You may want to try a different drying method before attempting this one. You will need wire, white sand and a box.
- Cut the rose when it's at its prime. Cut the rose so its stem is about an inch long.
- Poke the wire through the bottom of the flower (next to the stem) until it is secure in the flower.
- Fill a box with sand so it is high enough for the rose to stand up in.
- After the rose is set in the sand you can start to cover the rose with sand.
- Fill your box with as many roses as you wish.
- Let the roses sit in the box of white sand until they are dry.
- Empty the sand out of the box. Be VERY careful as it is extremely easy to shatter the rose.
How to Dry Roses Using A Book
This is the simplest form of flower drying but the shape of the rose will be lost from being flattened between the pages of a book. You will need a hard-back book and tissue paper.
- Cut the rose off the bush and remove the stem.
- Open a large, heavy book so that there are about an equal amount of pages on both sides.
- Line both sides of the book with tissues or tissue paper.
- Place the rose on top of the tissue or tissue paper.
- Repeat the first 4 instructions until you have as many roses as you'd like to use.
- Close the book and stack some other heavy books on top of it.
- Wait for the roses to dry. This could take a few days or a couple of weeks depending on how large the rose is.