How to Get Rid of Mold in the Kitchen How to Get Rid of Mold in the Kitchen
Besides the obvious bad look and smell of mold in kitchen areas, there are other pressing reasons why mold needs to be removed immediately. For example, if the kitchen has black mold in it, everyone that enters the kitchen would be at risk of developing health problems. Mold also eats away at wood which will ruin kitchen floors and destroy wooden kitchen window frames. If you have mold, tackle it with these tips.
Step 1 - Protect Hands and Eyes
Before doing anything, it is important to don a pair of rubberized gloves to protect hands and a pair of goggles to protect eyes. After that, mix a cupful of bleach with one gallon of hot water and place in a bucket or container that is not made out of metal. After the mixture is ready, pour some of it into a spray bottle.
Step 2 - Spray Bleach Mixture
Before applying your bleach mixture, be sure to protect the surrounding area. Cover items and furniture with newspaper, an old sheet, or a tarp. Take the bleach mixture and spray it directly onto the places wherever mold infestations are found. While spraying the bleach mixture, avoid inhaling the fumes. It is important to keep windows open and have the fans running as well.
Step 3 - Penetrating the Mold
Allow the bleach to rest on the surface for at least five minutes so that it can penetrate whatever mold is present. With the help of a stiff bristled scrubbing brush, remove the mold.
Step 4 - Clean Surface
With some cold water, rinse the surface and then allow it to dry. If the mold has not been completely removed it is necessary to repeat the above 3 steps again until all traces of mold have been removed. In case even these repetitions do not help in removing all traces of mold, it may be necessary to hire a professionals to do the job.
Step 5 - Prevention is Better than Cure
It is best to prevent further mold infestations which can be achieved by keeping the kitchen well-ventilated. When using the kitchen, make sure that the fans are kept running and furthermore, try to keep any windows open.
If it is found that mold has developed under the kitchen floor, then only a professional will be able to remove the mold.
Mold is a common problem that affects almost every kitchen. This is because the kitchen sees plenty of food remnants and has dark spaces which is affected by moisture – all of which allow mold to breed. To prevent this from happening simply clean susceptible surfaces with vinegar on occasion. If that fails, then the steps described above can help with mold removal in the kitchen.
It is possible to prevent mold in hot and humid conditions by making use of an air conditioner which will help to control humidity and keep the mold at bay. In winter, the same can be achieved by using a dehumidifier.