How to Get Rid of Mold Under the Sink How to Get Rid of Mold Under the Sink
Mold is a health hazard, and it should be removed immediately after you spot it in your home. During the summer, mold becomes more active and has accelerated growth due to humidity. One of the most common, humid areas where mold grows is under the sink. If you spot mold under you sink, follow the instructions below to get rid of it quickly and safely.
Warning: Mold is dangerous to your health. Wear gloves, goggles, and a mask when dealing with any kind of mold. Although your particular type of mold may not be deadly, even less-dangerous molds may cause allergies or asthma.
Step 1 – Locating the Mold
After putting on safety gear, you should locate the mold. This substance comes in a variety of textures and colors, but the mold you will find under your sink will likely be slimy and fuzzy from the humidity. It may also have a musty smell.
Step 2 – Identifying the Mold
There are different types of molds. Identify what kind of mold you are dealing with by looking at different photos online and comparing. If you can't identify it by using photos, test for mold with a kit. If your strain is a toxic one, contact a professional to remove it immediately. If it is non-toxic, move on to the next step to get rid of it yourself.
Step 3 – Removing Mold Using Natural Products
Before trying chemical products, you should see if you can eradicate it by using natural methods. There are three natural treatments that can be used to get rid of mold.
Tea Tree Oil
Mix 2 teaspoons of tea-tree oil with 2 cups of water in a spray bottle. Shake the bottle to ensure the contents blend well. Then, spray it on the moldy area. Let it dry. It will take the mold a couple of days to disappear.
Mix vinegar and warm water in equal parts in a spray bottle. Shake the bottle vigorously. Spray the mixture on the mold and let it dry. In a few hours, the mold will disappear.
The third treatment uses grapefruit. Mix 25 drops of grapefruit-seed extract with 2 cups of water in a spray bottle. Shake to allow the ingredients to blend well. Spray on the patch of the mold and let it dry. It may take a few days for the mold to vanish.
Step 4 – Removing Mold With Chemical Products
If the above natural products don’t work, use a mixture of chlorine bleach with distilled water in a ratio of 1-to-4 in a spray bottle. Beware that this method could alter the colored surface under your sink. Spray the mixture on the mold and leave it for one hour to kill the mold. Then, scrub the dead mold off the surface with a soft rag that won’t damage the surface.
Step 5 – Washing and Drying the Area
Now, wash the area with soap and water. Ensure all the residues are removed. Dry the area completely so the mold does not reappear. Then, place all the contents of the dead mold and any materials that touched it in a plastic bag. Tape it and discard it because dead mold can still cause allergic reactions.