How to Hang a Bed Canopy
A bed canopy is a great way to change up your room decor. By using fabrics that are lightweight, such as Tulle, Silk, or Light Cotton, you can add a dramatic effect that is both bold and subtle at the same time. Hanging a bed canopy is an inexpensive way to dress up your bed. With a little bit of time and some basic tools, you can add a bed canopy to your decor.
Step 1 - Choose Fabric
Choose a fabric that goes with the decor of the room. For an adult room, you may want bold or soft colors. In a child's room, you can make a bed canopy out of patterened fabrics. Before going to the fabric store, make sure that you measure how much fabric you are going to need. You will need to measure the width of the bed and also from floor to ceiling. Depending on the look that you are trying to achieve and the size of the bed, you may want to add more then one panel of fabric to the hook. The more fabric you use, the more full and dramatic the effect.
Step 2 - Position the Bed
Move the bed where you want it. Typically, a bed canopy needs to fall free on all 4 sides. The ideal set-up for a bed canopy is the bed in the middle of the room, with space on all 4 sides. If this isn't possible, place the bed where you want it, make your marks then slide the bed out of the way.
Step 3 - Using the Hardware
- Use the stepladder and make a pencil mark on the ceiling where you are going to hang your hooks.
- Use a tape measure to make sure that your pencil marks are equal distance from each other.
- Choose ceiling hooks that will be strong enough to hold the weight of the fabric, especially if you are using a heavier weight fabric.
- Use the drill to drill a hole on the marks.
- Attach the anchor to the ceiling hook so that the anchor folds downward.
- Insert the hook and the anchor into the hole, pushing it up so that the hook is flush against the ceiling. This ensures that the anchor opens fully.
- Screw the hook in tighter so that it is flush against the ceiling.
- Repeat this step with the other 3 marks.
Step 4 - Prepare and Hang the Fabric
- Once your hooks are installed, hold the fabric up to the hooks to see where you want to attach the grommets and hang the fabric on the hooks.
- Make sure to hem up the bottom of the fabric about 1/2 inch using either a needle and thread, hem tape or fabric glue.
- Using a fabric pencil, make a mark where you want the fabric to attach to the hooks.
- Cut a small hole and attach the grommets using either a hammer or the installer that came with your grommet kit.
- Hang the fabric from the hooks and arrange it the way you would like it.
- You can tie it back or let it hang, depending on your style.
- Leave an opening in the middle of the bed for easy entry and exit.