How to Install a Gun Cabinet How to Install a Gun Cabinet
If you own firearms, you may need to build a gun cabinet. For the safety of your family, it is imperative that all firearms be kept away from children and those who are not authorized to use them.
There are laws now in place in most countries that addresses firearm safety and storage. An individual who chooses to possess firearms has the responsibility to keep them safe and secure at all times. One of the best ways to do this is with a gun cabinet or safe. There are different types of gun cabinets or safes on the market. Installation methods vary depending on particular mode and location of storage.
- Rotary hammer drill
- Concrete drill bits
- Specialized lag bolts for strength
- Security head lag screws
- Security bit
- Sharpie pen
- Extension cord
- Safety goggles
- Ear protection
Simple But Secure
One of the simplest ways to install a gun cabinet is to purchase a small metal locker that is approved for firearm storage. These units are smaller than the more common gun cabinets. Take the metal gun locker and install it in a safe place such as the corner of the basement.
The gun locker should be made of titanium steel or another alloy metal approved for storing firearms. Most units come with pre-drilled mounting holes that use high tensile strength bolts. These bolts cannot be accessed from the outside. The "security" bolts get placed into lag holes drilled down into your basement floor.
1. You will need to mark the holes in the bottom of the gun locker first with a Sharpie pen.
2. Then you take your rotary hammer and drill out the holes in the concrete. You will have to use a special drill bit designed for concrete and make sure you wear safety goggles and ear protection.
3. Next place specialized anchors into the floor. These will accept security lags that will be secured through the holes in the bottom of the gun locker.
4. You will need a security bit to attach the one way lags through the gun locker base.
Gun lockers usually come with one or two locks that are the "high security" type. Make sure that only authorized users can access these.
Large Gun Cabinets
These units are much larger than gun lockers and can hold larger firearms such as long rifles. They often have more complicated locking systems to make sure unwanted entry is not granted.
Installing Gun Cabinets
1. These types of cabinets weigh so much, that they must be mounted over a concrete floor. Make sure the floor is solid and even before placing your cabinet in position.
2. Gun cabinets are installed pretty much the same way as a gun locker, with slight differences.
3. These cabinets will have additional mounts, located in the wall sections. The idea here is to allow the unit to be mounted in a corner, and to make it harder to illegally enter.
4. Use the same lags and security anchors that you will use in the floor section, to mount the two corners to the wall. Make sure that you mount your gun cabinet up against a block or brick wall, because they are a more secure mount than wood.
Installing a safe and secure gun cabinet is an easy thing to do, in order to protect yourself and others from any harm.