How to Make an Insect Repellent Sunblock
There are some ways to make a sunblock that has some insect repellent included. Herbs can be added to make the lotion natural and easy to use. You may be wondering how to make this kind of lotion for yourself. It's really not as hard as you may think and may just work better than some of the other versions that you have purchased.
Step 1 - Materials
The lotion base that you decide to use will make a difference in what the lotion feels like. You should choose a good base so that you are satisfied with the way the lotion feels. Basil leaves can be purchased at the local herbal store and can be mixed in with the lotion.
Step 2 - Combine Mixture
- Add in about 1/2 of the bottle of lotion or lotion base to the mixing bowl. This is what the bulk of the lotion is really going to be.
- Add the basil to the mixture. The basil should be crushed up so the oils in the plant can be a part of the lotion. The basil will be the potent part of the insect repellent.
- Basil essential oil can be used as well if the plant is not available to you.
Step 3 - Mix
- Once the basil and the lotion have been added together, they should be mixed well.
- Take the spoon and stir the lotion and the oil or leaves together until it has been thoroughly combined. This will spread the oil or plant all the way through the lotion and will enable it all to work properly.
Step 4 - Storage
Once everything has been mixed, it can be placed back into a container for storage.
- Use the spoon to move the lotion from the mixing bowl to the container.
- Make sure the container is clean before using.
- Clearly mark the container so you know what it is.
Step 5 - Using the Lotion
Now that the lotion is put in the containers, it can be used whenever you will be out in the sun and where there may be insects bothering you.
- Apply the location to exposed skin, but be careful not to get any on your clothes.
- This lotion will be easy to wash off of your skin when you are finished enjoying the outdoors.
Natural lotion is something that is growing in popularity. Making your own will help you save money and give you the confidence to know it has a natural insect repellent as well. Your skin will probably feel better because the lotion doesn't have the harsh chemicals that other repellents may have. This can make the lotion that you make more appealing to you and your needs.
Take the time to experiment with the lotions to find an amount that will work best at keeping the insects away from you without hurting your skin.