How To Paint Steel Exterior Doors How To Paint Steel Exterior Doors
Painting steel exterior doors can be an easy weekend project.
- Use a screwdriver to remove the door from its hinges. Use a hammer to poke the screwdriver up through the hinges and pop out the pins. Make sure someone is holding the door so it doesn't fall over.
- Put the door somewhere safe to paint, like outside or in an area covered with tarps or newspapers. If necessary, use a stand so you won't accidentally paint any floor or walls.
- Remove the doorknob and the kick plate.
- Scrape off the loose paint with a carpenter's knife or a razor. Use a sander to get rid of any visible rust..
- Brush an oil-based primer and brush it all over the door. Allow it to dry for about an hour.
- Sand the door.
- Use a small and/or medium sized roller to paint, as well as a brush for any contours. Add one coat of paint and allow it to dry.
- Sand any areas that are high and bumpy.
- Apply the second coat of paint and allow it to dry.
- If you are happy with how it looks, re-attach the doorknob (and a new kick plate) and attach the door. If you don't like how it looks, sand it again and add another coat, but don't apply more than three coats.