How to Restore a Chalkboard How to Restore a Chalkboard
A chalkboard needs extra care and cleaning, especially during the school year. There are various methods available that are safe and effective. Be careful not to use strong cleaners that might damage the chalkboard beyond repair. The following provides a few safe restoration procedures.
- Apply a few drops of lemon oil to a clean cloth and put in a sealed bag overnight. Use the same cloth on the chalkboard.
- Pour half a cup of vinegar into a pail of warm water. Put this mixture into a window squeeze and use to wash the chalkboard. Dry on the other side as you would windows.
- Use a cleaning spray like Endust on a soft cloth and apply on the chalkboard. This will clean the board and leave no streaks.
- Buy a special chalkboard cleaning cloth. There are dry cleaning cloths available that do not need soap and water. These cloths usually last about a year in a classroom setting.
- When cleaning the chalkboard, start with the top left corner of the chalkboard and continue in an up and down motion to the top right corner until the whole chalkboard is covered.
Make sure your dusters are cleaned out regularly as well.