How to Sew Ruffles
Knowing how to sew fabric ruffles by hand lets you adjust how much fabric you want ruffled, but a sewing machine can make the process much faster. Either way you decide, understanding how to sew these decorative pieces will add a pleasant note to your favorite dress or skirt.
Step 1 - Sewing Ruffles by Hand
- Thread your sewing needle with a length of thread that is at least 12 inches longer than the length of fabric that will be gathered.
- This will give you enough thread to adjust the length of the ruffles in the fabric.
- Tie a knot at the end of the thread.
Step 2 - Needle
- Insert your needle at the top edge of the fabric where the ruffle will be made.
- Use a running stitch which will make it easy to form the gathers.
Step 3 - Gathers
- As you sew, form gathers with your fingers at even spaces.
- Once the fabric is gathered, you can tie a knot at the end of the thread.
Sewing Ruffles by Machine
- Set your sewing machine to a 5 or 6 milimeter stitch length for the thread spool and bobbin spool.
- Leave 6 inches of thread hanging loose on the first side of the fabric before stitching.
- Tie a knot in the bobbin thread.
- Sew 1 line of thread along the edge of the fabric that is to be ruffled.
- Leave 6 inches of thread on the other side of the fabric before cutting the threads.
- Cut the threads, then start to form the ruffles by moving the fabric along the line of stitching.
- Once the ruffles are in place, tie a knot at both ends of the thread, then cut off the excess thread.
Your ruffles are ready to be sewn as a decoration on to a dress or skirt.