How to Ship a Motorcycle How to Ship a Motorcycle
A motorcycle is more than just a vehicle, it's a thing of beauty to many people. This is why you may sometimes need to find a way to ship a motorcycle. Unlike a car, many people get emotionally attached to their motorcycles so they won't be too keen on selling it if they move. Also, if you go on vacation or do ultimately decide to sell it, you'll need to know the proper steps you must take to ship it. It's important to take precautions to ensure that your motorcycle is protected no matter how long its journey will be.
Step 1 - Preparing the Motorcycle
- In order to make sure your motorcycle arrives at its destination safely, start by emptying all of the gas out of the tank.
- Take the connections off the battery and make sure that all of the tires are fully inflated.
- Fold the mirrors in against the body of the bike to protect them. Also ensure that anything loose on your bike has been fully attached to the bike so that it can't move.
- Make sure that you look at the general condition of the bike and note down any dents or scrapes. This will help you prepare for any insurance claims.
Step 2 - Crating the Motorcycle
If you are going to ship your motorcycle overseas, you will have to put it into a crate. There are specially-designed shipping crates available for motorcycles. These crates include straps to secure your bike during transit so that the chances of damaging the bike are greatly reduced.
Step 3 - Choosing a Shipping Company
You will now need to find a reliable shipping company who is able to offer you the services that you require. It's very important to spend time choosing a shipping company which is trustworthy and will look after your bike.
Get a few quotes from different companies so that you can make sure you're getting the best deal. Don't opt for the cheapest shipping company though. Remember, you get what you pay for.
Step 4 - Shipping the Motorcycle
- List any damage to your motorcycle before shipping and give this to the shipping company when they come to pick the motorcycle up.
- Keep the title and keys yourself and make sure that you get a signed receipt from the shipping company.
- Also check that the motorcycle is in neutral, you should never leave the bike in gear when shipping.
Step 5 - Check the Bike
When the bike is delivered you need to check for any damage or missing parts or accessories. Do this before signing any receipts for delivery. You should have reliable insurance to cover the motorcycle and shipping.