How to Soundproof a Hollow Door How to Soundproof a Hollow Door
There are a few ways to soundproof a hollow door. The easiest way to soundproof is to purchase a soundproofing doormat that fits your door and seals with adhesives or hook and loop fastener. The other is to peel the skin off the door and fill with soundproofing foam sheets. This article will go through the steps to fill a hollow door with soundproofing foam.
- Remove the door from the frame.
- Set the door on saw horses or other supports.
- Remove the door hardware.
- Using a utility knife and working from a corner, cut the skin off the one side carefully.
- Apply a thin skin of Liquid Nails to one side of the soundproofing foam and spread with a putty knife.
- Set the soundproofing foam into the door hollow.
- Apply a thin skin of Liquid Nails to the top of the soundproofing foam and to the wooden edges of the door.
- Set the previously removed skin back on and realign properly.
- Apply weight and allow Liquid Nails to dry.
- Reinstall hardware.
- Re-hang the door.
This job will take about 30 minutes to complete and you can do it yourself.