How to Wash a Bath Mat
A bath mat used in bathrooms is usually available in two types. Bath mats that you place outside the bathtub are usually made of a soft, plush fabric meant to absorb water and may have a rubber backing underneath, which helps prevent slippage on the bathroom floor. Inside the tub, you can use bath mats that are generally made entirely of rubber. Tub bath mats prevent slips in the tub, thereby preventing minor to serious injuries from a fall. Bath mats can be easily cleaned with a mild laundry detergent, and dried in a dryer or on a clothesline.
Step 1 - Look at the Label
Most bath mats will have labels that will guide you on dos and don’ts for care and maintenance. Read the label before you start cleaning the bath mat. Depending on the type of bath mat you have, the cleaning and drying process may be slightly different.
Step 2 - Floor Bath Mat
- Wash bath mats regularly to avoid the buildup of mildew and germs.
- Lift the bath mat and shake it thoroughly to dislodge any dust buildup.
- Put the bath mat in the washer with laundry detergent. You can also throw in some bath towels, which will aid in the scrubbing process.
- For colored bath mats, run the washer on a cold cycle. If all the materials are whites, you can use hot water.
- If the bath mat has a rubber back, avoid the dryer, as the heat from the dryer can damage and crack the rubber after repeated washes. Such bath mats can be hung over a clothesline or kept out in the sun for drying. If the bath mat is entirely fabric, you can safely put it in the dryer. After cleaning, if it looks too flat, brush lightly.
Step 3 - Tub Bath Mat
- Wash these bath mats when you are cleaning the tub.
- Scrub the mat thoroughly with a brush and bathroom cleaner. Once you finish one side, flip the mat and repeat on the underside. It is important to clean both sides, because mildew, germs, and dirt can accumulate over time.
- After scrubbing, wash the mat and leave it outside to dry, or hang it on a clothesline. You could also wash these bath mats outdoors with a garden hose, or put them in the washer with some thick towels. These bath mats can not be put in the dryer, even on low heat.