Ideas for a Green Office Ideas for a Green Office
The green movement continues on into the work life in addition to at home. With LEED certified office buildings so prevalent now, it is important to make conscious steps to create a more green office.
Ways to Make an Office Green
- Start with the lighting. Change bulbs to compact fluorescents or Energy-Star rated bulbs for longer lasting and energy efficient use. Make it a habit to turn off the lights when not in use.
- Check the computer’s power use. Many computers can now be set on power saver modes that expend less energy. It is also good to turn the computer off at the end of the day to save on power coming in.
- Recycle ink cartridges, paper products, plastic, glass, and any other materials. Set up bins in lounge areas to encourage employees to recycle items.
- Use chlorine free paper with high post consumer recycled content. Use both sides of the paper – often times scraps can be rebound into small pads for note writing. The average office uses 10,000 sheets of copy paper a year.
- Go paperless when possible. The use of computers and email make is easier to correspond. Read information online rather than having shelves of rarely used manuals, newsletters, magazines, etc.
- Use non-toxic cleaning products for surfaces. Bring in plants to absorb indoor air pollution. Decorate with furnishings, carpets and paints that are free of volatile organic compounds(VOC’s). Provide reusable cups and dishes in lounge areas.
Green offices are easy to create, and give employees a sense of being socially and eco-conscious. Encourage everyone in the office to be involved.