Installing Cabinet Hardware: What You Should Know
Before installing cabinet hardware, take precise measurements of your cabinets and doors. This will help you avoid making unsightly extra drill holes that could lead to splintering. Follow these steps for easy cabinet hardward installation. In addition to the handles or knobs and additional screws, you will need a drill, a level and a measuring tape.
Steps to Installing Cabinet Hardware
- Find the drill bit that matches the thread hole on the door or drawer handle.
- Select the location where you want the door handle or knob to be. On a drawer, the best place for the handle is usually in the center. For cabinet doors, determine whether you want handles positioned vertically or horizontally.
- Using a measuring tape, mark the two locations where you need to pre-drill. Make sure these two positions are even using a level.
- Pre-drill the holes for the door or drawer handle.
- Put the screws through and tighten up to the handle. When fully tightened, there should be no play between the drawer and the handle.