Installing Drapery Rings
Drapery rings make hanging curtains and drapes much easier than ever before. They also prevent tearing of your drape headers by sharp pin-type hooks. Drapery rings can also accent the curtains and be matched to the drapery bar or rod. Follow these directions to install drapes on drapery clip rings.
Step 1 - Choose the Style of Drapes You Want to Hang
Decide on a single panel, a pair of drapes or a pair of draperies with a valance head. If you wish to use a valance head, measure and install it first before hanging the drapery rod and drapes under it.
Step 2 - Measure the Hanging Space for the Drapery Rod
The ideal width for a drapery rod is 3 inches beyond the window edge on each side, to cover the window completely.
- Measure the window frame and mark it with a pencil 3 inches to the left and right of the window edge, 2 inches above the frame's top edge. This will prevent a window gap between the bottom of the rings and the top edge of each curtain or drape.
- Buy a drapery rod and a pair of support brackets at the width you have measured.
- Buy the drapes in a length that will reach to 1/2 inch above the floor.
- If you have electric baseboard heaters, ensure the drapes extend no closer than 2 inches above the heater. Drapes that puddle on the floor are a fire and tripping hazard.
Step 3 - Attach the Drapery Rod Support Brackets
- Mount the support brackets at the left and right points you marked on the window frame.
- Fasten with Philips-head convex top screws to prevent slipping of the brackets.
- Check the brackets are level before tightening the screws completely.
- Place the drapery rod in the brackets to confirm it is level.
- Lift out the drapery rod and attach the drapery clip rings to it.
Step 4 - Affix the Drapery Clip Rings to the Drapes
- Slide the drapery clip rings onto the drapery rod.
- Affix the drapes to the clips, using one clip ring for each pleat of the drapery tops.
- If the drapes are unpleated, fold the fabric into each clip until you have distributed the drape evenly through the clip rings.
Step 5 - Slide the Drapery Clip Rings onto the Drapery Rod
Carefully slide the drapery clip rings onto the curtain rod. Push both drapes to one end to facilitate attaching the rod to its support brackets.
Step 6 - Suspend the Drapery Rod from the Brackets
Set up and lock the stepladder into position at the window. With the help of a friend, convey the drapes on the rod to the window.
- Insert the drapery rod into the left bracket, then the right, and distribute the drapery rings across it evenly.
- Adjust until you are satisfied with the appearance of the drapes.