Is soot found in small wood burning stoves toxic? Is soot found in small wood burning stoves toxic?

In small wood burning stoves, soot is not as much a risk of toxins as the wood smoke is itself. If you have a properly installed wood stove, with necessary ventilation, and make sure you clean the stove weekly, the soot will not be released into your home, causing problems. When cleaning, you should be careful not to kick up the dust too much, as it can cause lung irritation if breathed in. The wood smoke is where the toxins are released, and this is where care should be taken. Never use pressure treated wood, as it will release chemicals as it burns. The soot left behind is just a by-product of the wood, and will have burned away most toxins.

Got a New Project You're Proud of?

Post it on Your Projects!