Keep Steel Screen Doors Rust-Free Keep Steel Screen Doors Rust-Free
Steel screen doors are extremely durable and add extra protection, but tend to rust quite easily. Moisture and Humidity are the biggest culprits of creating rust on a steel screen door, but there are ways to combat it.
Steel doors are prone to damage in high traffic areas, and having a durable finish applied is an important step in preventing rust in the first place. When purchasing a steel screen door it is important to ask questions about how it is finished. The finish should be a powder coated paint, or a baked on finish that creates a strong seal with a rust resistant coating.
Stopping Rust on Steel Screen Doors
If the steel screen door is existing and just starting to show signs of rust, then there are ways to try to prevent it from getting worse.
- Remove the rusted area with a putty knife or wire brush and sand the area smooth.
- Apply a rust remover if necessary and allow the area to dry thoroughly according to directions.
- If the area is pitted, some recommend filling the area with a high quality bonding agent that is available in auto repair areas.
- Apply a high quality rust resistant primer to the area to prevent further rusting.
- Paint with a fine bristle brush an oil-based paint to provide a protective barrier against the elements. Darker colors will mask the area better. A good oil-based paint finish should last 5 or more years.